Even if you are a first-time offender, a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction in Idaho comes with some very serious penalties and punishments. Incarceration, steep fines and counseling are just a few of the possible outcomes. In addition, your driver's license will automatically be suspended for a minimum of 30 days, possibly much longer. Your best chance of avoiding or reducing any of these penalties is to seek the expertise of an experienced DUI attorney who is familiar with Idaho DUI law.
What are First Offense DUI Penalties?
If you are convicted of a first DUI offense in Idaho, here's the potential consequences:
- Jail time There is no minimum jail time for first-time DUI in Idaho, meaning those convicted could face no jail time at all. But, the state reserves the right to impose a six-month jail sentence. Likely, any conviction will result in a jail sentence, the amount of time will depend on the severity of the crime. Most first-time DUI offenders can complete their "jail time" through community service or SLD instead of actually sitting behind bars.
- License Suspension It's highly likely your license will be suspended for a period of 90 to 180 days. The absolute minimum is 30 days. After 30 days, most drivers can apply for a restricted license to get from work to home and to medical appointments.
- Fines The maximum fine for a drunk driving conviction is $1,000, but steep fees associated with alcohol education, license reinstatement and more should be expected.
- Evaluation Those convicted of drunk driving must complete an alcohol evaluation and comply with any counseling or rehabilitation recommended by the evaluator.
- Victims Panel Those convicted of drunk driving must participate in the Victims Panel, a one day class where people who have had their lives changed due to DUI age given the chance to tell their story.
For more information see: Idaho Code §18-8005 - Penalties.
*New penalty as of Jan. 1, 2019: Required 1 year interlock device for all first time DUI offenders. Take a look at my blog article on this subject: New Harsher Penalties For First Time DUI Offenders
Hire A Lawyer That Will Fight For You!
For more information about the charge of DUI, see Idaho Code §18-8004.
If you are charged with a DUI in Idaho, you need a lawyer that will fight to protect your rights. Call me today for a free consultation!