Idaho Criminal Defense | Boise Criminal Defense | Boise Hit and Run Lawyers
Leaving The Scene Of An Accident (Hit And Run)
If you have been arrested, charged, or cited for a leaving the scene of an accident, it is important that you understand the charges against you and what your legal rights are. You should not try to take on the criminal justice system on your own.
What Is Leaving The Scene Of An Accident?
The driver of any vehicle that has been involved in an accident, either upon public or private property open to the public, who knows or has reason to know that said accident has resulted in injury to or death of any person shall:
- Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible. Every stop required under this section shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
- Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled all the requirements under this section.
- Give his name, address, the name of his insurance agent or company if he has automobile liability insurance, and the motor vehicle registration number of the vehicle he is driving to the person struck, or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle collided with.
- If available, exhibit his driver's license to the person struck, or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle collided with.
- Render to any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including the conveying or the making of arrangements for the conveying of such person to a physician, surgeon, hospital or other medical facility, for medical or surgical treatment, if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such conveying is requested by the injured person.
A violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a felony.
Potential Penalties Of A Conviction
A conviction is punishable by a fine of not more than five thousand dollars ($5,000) or by imprisonment in the state penitentiary for a period of not more than five (5) years, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Additionally, the defendant's drivers license shall be revoke for a period of one (1) year. See: Idaho Code §18-8007- Leaving the Scene Of An Accident
Call Me To Discuss Your Case
If you are charged with Leaving the Scene in Idaho, you need a lawyer that will fight to protect your rights. Call me today for a free consultation!