- You have the right to remain silent. If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.
- You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.
- If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.
- You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately.
- Stay calm and be polite.
- Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
- Do not lie or give false documents.
- Prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.
- Remember the details of the encounter.
- Do not resist law enforcement even if you feel that your rights are being violated. File a written complaint or call a local attorney after the encounter.